Re: 4G Markets in WV
richrcp

What does Windstream have to do with Verizon Wireless Service??? Last week Straight Cable/Tower Service from Fairmont WV & Lumus was pulling Fiber in Stonewood WV, but that had nothing to do with VZW. They were installing Fiber for US Cellular's 4G network which goes live this month in Morgantown, Preston County, Fairmont, Bridgeport, Clarksburg. After US Cellular's LTE network goes live in North Central WV all of the VZW customer's with marginal coverage will become US Cellular customer's .

0 Likes
d10m27

verizon morgantown pic.png

This is obviously from a few weeks ago.  I am not sure if this (magical 4g) has been happening with anyone else's phone, but it has been happening with my phone frequently (a few times a week).  This typically occurs on the Evansdale Campus of WVU, although it has occurred elsewhere.  My phone will work fine on the 4g data network, and acts as though it is on Verizon (although I still can't send more than 160 character texts, another frustration).  Then the next second, literally, my phone will revert back to the 'extended network' and the dial up of the mobile data world, 1x.  Not sure why, maybe it is testing, and still probably no one will be informed until the 4g network becomes live in Morgantown, WV (if it ever happens at this point). 

Also, my phone is a Droid 4, and on my sister's phone, the iPhone 4, at the exact same time my phone says 4g, hers still says extended.  Once again, no idea why this is happening and would love to know.

0 Likes
ccsears1981

It could be from testing the towers before they turn them on or it could be what I was experiencing.  When I restart my phone and turn it back on it picks up 3G for a few minutes and even has 3G speed then reverts back to 1X.  I was told its because it picks up the 3G tower from either AT&T or Sprint then once it finds the US Celluar tower it conects to it since they have the contract with Verizon.

The 160 character problem is with the phone itself not signal related.  My Galaxy S3 does the same thing.  What the problem is the new phones they didn't program the SMS to break up the text messages automaticly into different messages.  If you look at different SMS apps to download like Handcent or GoSMS Pro they are programed to break the message body down into multiple messages and send them if they are over 160. 

0 Likes
ccsears1981

Where did you get the information that VZW customers will become US Cellular customers?  It seems odd they would do this when they have built a VZW Tower in Morgantown that will be 4G.

0 Likes
richrcp

I was just refering to the fact that vzw customers are frustrated with thier service especially in Morgantown. Actually this whole LTE launch in Morgantown, Fairmont, Bridgeport, & Clarksburg may not happen until mid to late 2013. That info was based on a 2012 vzw press release when the initial Charleston launch and WV plan was announced. When US Cellular launches LTE it will with its sizeable footprint it will hurt verizons business. Go to US Cellular's site it actually shows the entire planned 4G launch area it's impressive!!!

0 Likes
ccsears1981

I can feel the frustration I have thought about switching over myself.  There is some confusion and mix comunication on this 4G coming to Morgantown.  The reps at Verizon Customer Service won't give out any information, the minutes from the Morgantown Planning Commission state they had mandated it be turned on by this past Mid July and the VZW Reps in Clarksburg/Bridgeport are being told it will be turned on anyday now.  I am at the point i wish I could get out of my contract and just make the switch so I wouldn't have to deal with the frustration anymore.

0 Likes
richrcp

I have been dealing with this since late 2008 when vzw opened the first Authorized Agent location at the Meadowbrook Mall. Not sure where you live but if you are in Harrison County its considered a marginal coverage area and you can get out of your contract. this has been relayed to me by technical support, believe me I have filed many trouble especially for data issues!!!!! I totally agree with your mixed communication take and I believe this is done on purpose to hold onto customers as long as possible.

0 Likes
HouseRulz

4G LTE coverage is coming to Morgantown on October 17th as per VZW press release: http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/10/pr2012-10-09c.html

0 Likes
d10m27

Well that seems pretty official, however I will still believe it when it happens, as similar things have been said before and not happened. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

HouseRulz wrote:

4G LTE coverage is coming to Morgantown on October 17th as per VZW press release: http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/10/pr2012-10-09c.html

Well, that's officially official. It will definitely be live on that date. You might even see it before then. This is based on my experience with light-up dates for LTE.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes