4G Markets in WV
richrcp

When could we expect to see other 4G markets to launch in WV,currently the only area in WV with 4G coverage is Charleston. I reside in the Clarksburg area (26301) which is close to Morgantown. ( West Virginia University ) We have no EVDO coverage in the entire North Central portion of WV. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G Markets in WV
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

richrcp wrote:

When could we expect to see other 4G markets to launch in WV,currently the only area in WV with 4G coverage is Charleston. I reside in the Clarksburg area (26301) which is close to Morgantown. ( West Virginia University ) We have no EVDO coverage in the entire North Central portion of WV. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi richrcp,

I understand your desire for 4G coverage in your area. We're excited to expand our 4G coverage as quickly as technologically possible. While we do not have any specifics of the 4G coverage expansion, please keep in mind that any news regarding 4G technology and expansion is listed first online at VZW 4G.

0 Likes
chrislipscomb

Adding to our frustration in Clarksburg, WV, is that we do not even have access to 3G service while we wait!  I would hope that this would put us nearer to the top of the list of 4G upgrades.

I am using a Droid 2 on a 1X system!  Does that make me look foolish for spending the money on the device and the wireless hotspot feature?  Or does it make Verizon look complacent and foolish for selling these devices which will likely become obsolete before the network here can handle them.

To add insult to injury, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find phones which do not require data packages (even though we have only 1X data coverage) for my secondary phone.

I purchased this Droid 2, 1.5 years ago based on my past experience with Verizon being so quick to expand services, and I am beginning to feel as though North Central West Virginia is off the grid.  I will certainly not be extending my contract or upgrading my devices until I have more certainty.  As a matter of fact, with two other carriers already having 3G here, and our best hope being end of 2013, I have time to carry a full contract with another carrier so I can at least have 3G while I wait!!!

0 Likes
chrislipscomb

Just to update this post and give a huge thank you to Verizon Wireless!!!  Clarksburg, WV and Bridgeport, WV now have 3G service!!!  I am hearing 4G may be here by mid-2012 and that there is work already in Monongalia and Marion counties.

0 Likes
wvu2012

hey do you know when Morgantown WV will receive 3g service?

0 Likes
chrislipscomb

I have only been told by local employees that the work is under way as of

December 2011.

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
sclivingst

Waiting in Martinsburg for Verizon coverage. They piggyback off of U.S.Cellular towers in the area. I get 10 miles out of town towards Winchester and I pick up 3g. the only info about our area getting Verizon is a press release from 2010. Come on Verizon, getting you stuff together already!

0 Likes
HouseRulz

There was a story from WBOY saying that 4G will be available in Morgantown mid-summer. No one from Verizon has actually confirmed this though.

0 Likes
wvu2012

here is the link for that story http://www.wboy.com/story/17149285/plans-for-verizon-wireless-4g-service-in-morgantown-underway

do you think that there is any truth to this story?

0 Likes
HouseRulz

The permits have all been filed with the Morgantown City Planning Board (or whatever it is called), and the Hotel Morgan (where the towers are going to be erected) has agreed to allow the construction. Further, Verizon said in 2010 that they wanted 3G (or better) in towns with the 100 largest universities by the end of 2012. So I would say yes.

0 Likes