4G Firmware Update
swamprabbit

Installed my MiFi 4510L without a hitch a few weeks ago, upgrading from my previous MiFi 2200.  I'm running it on WinXp SP3 

Very satisfied initially, but last week I was prompted to update the firmware.  I clicked as requested & it looked like it was gonna go until near the end.  I get a message "Error 1720. There is a problem with the Windows Installer package.  A script required for this install to complete could not be run.  Contact your support personnel".......blah, blah, yadda yadda.

I had the same problem with my MiFi 2200 and never got it resolved - the 2200 worked just fine w/o the updates.

I did some keyword lookups on the net and the Error 1720 problem with VZW firmware updates is widespread.  I never found anyone who had solved that problem.  Most said that VZW techno-wizards blamed Windows and the Windows weenies blamed the writers of the update program.  

I ain't gettin' paid to fix VZW's problem - you know they know about it, why don't they fix it?

Anybody had a similar experience?  Or found a solution?

With the MifFi 4510L, the annoying thing now is getting a prompt to update every time I sign on. Right now, I just click do it later and then connect.  Maybe I can get VZW tech support to just turn off the update notices???

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G Firmware Update
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

swamprabbit wrote:

Installed my MiFi 4510L without a hitch a few weeks ago, upgrading from my previous MiFi 2200.  I'm running it on WinXp SP3 

Very satisfied initially, but last week I was prompted to update the firmware.  I clicked as requested & it looked like it was gonna go until near the end.  I get a message "Error 1720. There is a problem with the Windows Installer package.  A script required for this install to complete could not be run.  Contact your support personnel".......blah, blah, yadda yadda.

I had the same problem with my MiFi 2200 and never got it resolved - the 2200 worked just fine w/o the updates.

I did some keyword lookups on the net and the Error 1720 problem with VZW firmware updates is widespread.  I never found anyone who had solved that problem.  Most said that VZW techno-wizards blamed Windows and the Windows weenies blamed the writers of the update program.  

I ain't gettin' paid to fix VZW's problem - you know they know about it, why don't they fix it?

Anybody had a similar experience?  Or found a solution?

With the MifFi 4510L, the annoying thing now is getting a prompt to update every time I sign on. Right now, I just click do it later and then connect.  Maybe I can get VZW tech support to just turn off the update notices???

Hi swamprabbit,

I am sorry to learn of the issue you encountered while updating your device's firmware. Upon researching this the MiFi 4510L, I learned that some files and instructions have been updated for a successful update. Please visit this LINK for detailed instructions to complete the update.

0 Likes